Featurediranpresident donald trumppresident trumpStrait of Hormuz

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Is Open and Mine-Free

President Trump says the Strait of Hormuz is cleared, reopened, and under control.

The negotiations with Iran, however, are over.

Trump announced Tuesday that all naval mines had been removed or destroyed from the strategic waterway while declaring that no further diplomatic talks with Tehran were underway or scheduled.

Breaking Alerts

Don’t miss the stories that matter.

Get Sean’s breaking news alerts — free, direct to your inbox.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

“The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect.”

“The Hormuz Strait is open and operating,” he wrote. “All water mines have been removed or detonated.”

The strait normally carries nearly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne oil, making its reopening a major development for international shipping and energy supplies.

Iran had spent months conducting sporadic attacks and planting mines intended to deter vessels from using the passage, according to the supplied reporting.

Trump’s announcement came after the expiration of a 60-day negotiating period and marked a sharp turn from his confirmation one day earlier that U.S. officials had maintained a backchannel with members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The president had said Monday that he was in no hurry to impose another negotiating deadline. By Tuesday, he said no discussions were occurring at all.

The naval blockade will remain in place even as commercial traffic resumes, according to Trump.

His statement also followed a severe warning to neighboring Oman. Trump threatened military action Monday if the Gulf nation assisted Tehran in its attempt to control the waterway or interfered with American operations.

This story is developing…



Source link

Related Posts

1 of 820